Saturday 8 September 2012

The first week of school!

I'm assuming this is a common topic in the blogosphere this week...however it's usually peppered with parents regaling their little one's first foray into the big wide world of school. Not so much here....I started school this week!

As some of you know, I applied to Sheridan College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning (hereby referred to as Sheridan), for Office Administration. There are four strains of the course; general, executive, legal and medical. I'm taking the Medical strain. It's a 2 year (4 semester) course and I just started this week. It's been like slipping on your favourite pair of pants (or shoes) and having them fit exactly how you remembered. I attended Humber college right out of highschool, and didn't end up completing my course. That was 2-3 years ago. Starting at Sheridan was like going back after a summer off. The transition has been easy so far. We will see how I feel in another couple weeks when I have assignments due, projects due and a baby who won't let me get any of it done LOL.

The first year is the same across all strains of the program. So this semester I have:

Mondays  - off (woohoo!!)
Tuesdays  - Business English from 8-11am
                 - Office Administration Procedures from 12-3
Wednesdays - Understanding Cults from 8-11 (General Education Elective so this varies for everyone)
Thursdays  - Document Processing and Proficiency from 8-11
                   - Word Processing Applications from 1-3
Fridays       - Spreadsheets and Presentations from 8-11






So far this seems like a pretty easy semester! English is going to be a snap...most of my class seems to have little to no grasp on the English language (and I'm pretty anal about spelling and grammar as it is) so this should be easy. Understanding Cults is going to be, by far, my favourite course this semester. Much critical thinking and forcing myself to think outside the box. The rest of the courses are pretty straightforward as far as what we're going to be learning. Because everyone is coming from different backgrounds (and we have quite a few International students), this semester is pretty much just to get you used to a computer and to start using the different software. Since I have a pretty basic understanding of Powerpoint, Word, Outlook etc from Business class in highschool, I'm hoping the workload won't be too bad and I can have a pretty easy transition back into the school life.

Hope to be back and write more soon!



1 comment:

  1. sounds very interesting! I'm so happy for you and proud of you for going back to school. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!